Apply Exterior Penofin
- If the wood was previously finished with a brand other than Penofin the previous finish will need to be removed. For specifics regarding how to prep the wood prior to applying the Penofin finish, please refer to Prep Before Applying Penofin under HOW-TO.
- SHAKE WELL BEFORE USING. DO NOT add thinning or blending agents.
- Penofin must be applied to a clean and dry surface. Surface must be free of dirt and sawdust. Do not apply when wood is hot to the touch. Temperature should be between 45°F to 80°F.
- Apply with a brush, stain pad, or pump sprayer equipped with a plastic tip.
- To allow for maximum penetration wait 30 minutes, then use a nap-free shop cloth and wipe the entire surface, removing excess product.
- Surface will be dry to the touch in 3-4 hours, ready for use in 12 hours, moisture resistant at 24 hours, and fully cured in 4-7 days.
- DO NOT apply wet-on-wet.
- If using the two-coat formula (550VOC), wait 3-4 hours and apply a light second coat and again wipe any excess from the entire surface after 30 minutes.
- Use a brush, stain pad, or sprayer. Brushes and stain pads give the best results. Apply thoroughly and back brush Penofin into the wood leaving little to no excess. After 20-30 minutes wipe entire surface with a nap-free cloth. DO NOT allow a film to develop on the surface. Apply when there is no chance of rain during the process or withing 24 hours after application is complete. If rain occurs spots may develop on the wood’s surface. Do not apply in direct hot sun! A minimum temperature of 45°F is required during the application and first 3-4 hours of dry time. Hardwoods require only one coat of the penetrating oil finishes.
- Repeat this application within 3-6 months, prepping the wood prior to application, and then again within 10-12 months after that. Over time the wood fibers will become fully protected and maintenance will become less frequent. Product should be applied more often to horizontal surfaces and also areas with high U.V. exposures or heavy traffic.
- Coverage depends on application method, texture of the wood, and moisture content of the wood. Coverage is less on rough surfaces, and more on smoother surfaces.
- Average Coverage on Softwoods = 175-300sq. ft.
- Average Coverage on Hardwoods = 400sq. ft.
- Penofin is an Oil-Based product. Clean brushes and other application materials with mineral spirits or paint thinner.
- AVOID SPONTANEOUS COMBUSTION of oily rags. Soak all used cloths in a sealable metal container filled with water, ensuring the cloths are completely submerged. Keep rags submerged in water in the container until they can be properly disposed of at your local hazardous materials drop-off.
* According to the Columbia Encyclopedia, Sixth Edition. 2001, “Spontaneous Combustion is a phenomenon in which a substance unexpectedly bursts into flame without apparent cause. In ordinary combustion, a substance is deliberately heated to its ignition point to make it burn. Many substances undergo a slow oxidation that, like the rapid oxidation of burning, releases heat. If the heat so released cannot escape the substance, the temperature of the substance rises until ignition takes place. Spontaneous combustion often occurs in piles of oily rags, green hay, leaves, or coal; it can constitute a serious fire hazard.” *
- When you use Penofin, maintenance is a snap. Because Penofin is a low-solid product, there is no stripping or sanding needed before reapplication.
- Softwoods: Simply clean the wood using the Pro-Tech Wood Cleaner #2 (followed by the Pro-Tech Wood Brightener #3 if wood is weathered or color variation is present). Allow the wood to dry completely, 24-48 hours, before applying a new coat of Penofin.
- Hardwoods: Simply clean the wood using the Pro-Tech Wood Cleaner #2 and follow with the Pro-Tech Brightener #3 to reverse any weathering/discoloration and open the pores of the wood to ensure maximum absorption of the stain into the dense hardwoods.
TROUBLE-SHOOTING A STICKY-TACKY SURFACE
- Avoid overapplication by following the instructions we just covered. In the event of an overapplication, use the following methods to resolve.
- Allow Penofin to dry for 7 days.
- Use Penofin Pro-Tech Cleaner #2 following product instructions. * See Prep Before Applying Penofin for product instructions. *
- You may also use the Pro-Tech Wood Stripper #1
- If you choose to use the Pro-Tech Wood Stripper #1, follow with the Cleaner and Brightener. Allow the wood to dry for 24-48 hours, and then reapply the Penofin stain.
- PENOFIN exterior finishes are warranted to perform when applied to wood surfaces according to label instructions. For PENOFIN’S penetrating oils you can expect 1-2 years on horizontal surfaces, and 2-5 years on vertical surfaces depending on use and weather exposure. We recommend preserving the beauty of your horizontal surfaces by staining every 9-24 months.
CAUTION COMBUSTIBLE! Keep this product away from heat, open flame, and sparks. Avoid prolonged contact with skin and breathing vapor or spray mist. Using only with adequate ventilation. Do not take internally. Shelf-life is limited once factory seal is broken, secure lid tightly after use. Avoid spontaneous combustion – make sure all rags are soaked and stored in an airtight metal container until properly disposed of at your local hazardous martials drop-off, and brushes are cleaned with paint thinner or mineral spirits. KEEP ALL PENOFIN PRODUCTS OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.